Friday, January 2, 2009

Welcoming in the New Year. (not for faint of heart...)

So, I finished my post last night, just as I hear Annie at the top of the stairs screaming at the top of her lungs and crying.

I RUN upstairs to find her, vomiting, at the top of the staircase.

Granted, the day before, Annie had two puking episodes, but she was feeling well enough on New Years to be up and about and do some family stuff. (I figured it was a 24-hour thing, and it had been well over 24 hours since the last episode...you know...). My poor little girl.

I follow her to her room to find that Sophie had (unfortunately) snuck into bed with Annie (as is often her custom). Sadly, poor little Soph, still sleeping, was entirely covered in vomit. Face, hair, chest, everything.

I showered both girls, had them brush their teeth (yes, Sophie too... ugh.) and put Soph down for sleep on old quilts sprawled on her bedroom floor (expecting her to do it in the night as well- though she didn't... yet) and put Annie in her make-shift bed. Her carpet will probably never fully recover, even with Ammonia, carpet cleaner and everything else. It's orange.

I have fingers CROSSED that we will not have a repeat of last night- with the other four Jonesies. I have become a germophobe- bleaching, Lysoling and sanitizing EVERYTHING and everyone, hoping it will soften the blow. I suppose it's a good thing that these things happen gradually- five puking at once would be, well, not fun. (Ask me someday about the Diarrhea Debacle of '05- my playroom heater vent has only now recovered...)

So this one goes out to all my Puke-cleaning Sistas and Brothas- especially the newly initiated like Candi- who are all praying with me that we don't have another night like last night.

8 comments:

Lewis Family said...

I so feel your pain. I had one sick Christmas Eve, two kids Dec. 27th, me and the last child on Dec. 28th, and then my poor husband on the 29th as we were packing and heading to the mountains with Paul & Deanna. Then of course, two days into our little vacation in the mountains, 4 from her family got sick too. Best friends share everything right...even germs! Good luck, I hope you are done with that mess.

Jenn said...

That's sucks! Hopefully it doesn't spread around!

Kristen said...

ahhh - I am with you. I think we are all finally better but it made it's rounds through us all. And I am now bound and determined to buy a steam cleaner for my carpets (probably the little green machine-thing). I borrowed one from my neighbor and it was TERRIFIC!!

So sorry. :(

Unknown said...

gross, poor kids. Alexis always seems to puke on Britt. Hope the rest of you don't get it.

Chris said...

You said to ask you someday about the Diarrhea Debacle of '05. Someday is here. I'd like to hear that story.

Garnet said...

Yuck Amber. What an introduction to your family :)Being a mom is just so glamorous huh? Hi friend! In case you've noticed your stat meter spike with visits from Iowa, I just wanted to say that I'm not a stalker. I'm not even sure how I found your blog, friend of a friend of a friend ... and Ta Da! Here I am. I'm so glad I found you. It's funny because I was just thinking about you this morning and how we used to drive around in your van making "Whoopie!" Uh ... that sounds a lot worse than it actually was. Anyways, I could probably write a book, but I don't want to totally clog up your comment box. So Hi. Check out my blog for more info about me. Talk to you soon.

kthom said...

Ah come on...let's hear the debacle....! Excellent retelling of events, it's like I was there, only I so wasn't. And for that, I am thankful. Way to handle it like a champ. I would have brushed BOTH sets of teeth as well!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the honorable mention. So Yeah, did that AGAIN less than an hour ago. This time it ended up in a bowl. Thank heavens.