Thursday, October 2, 2008

Inspector Deloris

I read an article in Family Fun magazine recently, written by a frustrated mom with a messy house. She had a brainstorm, and decided to employ a fictional character she invented named "Deloris" to come in and "inspect" the kids' rooms and email her findings to her. It was a total hit, the kids were more conscious of their messes, and Deloris got to be the bad guy, listing all the things that needed to be done- being as nitpicky as she wanted to be.

I loved this idea, since we battle with the same problems.

Jim decided to take everything a step further and actually create a blog for Deloris (www.inspectordeloris.blogspot.com) and an email address. It's hilarious.

My kids are waiting for the results of Deloris' first visit today. We will email them to ourselves from her account and read them after dinner. Our "Leavenworth dollars" will be dependent on how we react to Deloris' findings. My kids are totally excited- and a little weirded out ("how is she going to get in our house if nobody's home?") etc. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Inspector Deloris will make a splash at our house. If anyone out there wants to try it out, show your kids the blog to lend your facade some legitimacy, and let the fun begin. :)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That is funny! I love the idea and will probably use it when Alexis is old enough! Hope it works.

Kristen said...

I saw magazine article too in the waiting room somewhere recently. I'm a really terrible liar, though, and can't pull off even simple practical jokes, so I'm not sure I could do it and have the kids buy into it. But I can't wait to hear how it goes for you! I definitely need to do something!!

Kristen said...

I missed a word there. I meant to say I saw "that magazine article"
ok, that's all

Kwint and Gina Kemp Family said...

I love the Deloris idea, it's perfect. I am starting today.

I got homesick when I saw your comment on my blog... all those old friends in the same ward... that sounds sooo fun. I am coming out there in the Spring, if all goes well, for my brother's wedding. Let's see if we can organize a reunion of sorts, eh?

Jenn said...

What a great idea! Let us know if it works!