Friday, September 26, 2008

Reminders.

I have a sign in my kitchen that says "I child proof my house, but they still get in." I thought it was pretty funny. Truly, considering the substantial amount of childproofing necessary in a house with five kids under six, it is pretty funny. I was thinking about this today, about the sense of humor that is seemingly prerequisite to living my life- and how, often, I find myself desensitized to the negativity that comes with the daily exhaustion of doing the routine. People ask me all the time, "What's it like to have triplets?" "How is it to have another little one after that?" etc. My answer to all of these queries is consistently, "crazy." I think that is the most commonly used word in my vocabulary.

Somehow, in all of this, I find I forget, occasionally, how precious my little family is- how unique and important each "crazy" little spirit is and how much I have to teach them and how much I hope they are learning from me.

I reflected on this today as I sat in a funeral for one of Annie's little friends, Mara Adams. Little Mara returned to live with her Heavenly Father Monday after an eleven month battle with a brain tumor that was supposed to have claimed her life after six months. She was the dearest little six year old girl. Her mother, Heather, wrote the "Life Sketch" (eulogy) in a letter format to Mara, relating all the sweet memories she has of her short life. It was heart wrenching. It was so touching and so impressive the number of people, both members and non-members of our faith that were touched by Mara's life and in whose lives her impact was felt. (The chapel and adjoining cultural hall were full- it was standing room only.) Read more about her at www. maraadams.com

I am so blessed to be the steward of these dear little spirits of our Heavenly Father. I know I need to hug them a little tighter, talk to them a little more, be a little more patient. Watching what the Adams' are experiencing right now is a confirmation of that. Truly, we never know what the Lord's plan is for our little ones- we need to love them every day like it's the last day we have them in mortality. I know this is something I need to try a little harder to do- move past the impatience and bite my tongue- make a greater effort to teach with love. Today was just a really good reminder of that.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

wow - weird coincidence. I have heard of Mara and read about her through the blog of my neighbor who has a little girl with the same type of brain tumor. They had even visited together over the summer.
Such a terrible, heart-wrenching disease. Our neighbor's little girl was diagnosed in March and is in treatment and doing fairly well right now.
(her website is www.sadiehuish.blogspot.com)

It is so hard to remember to treasure the time we have with our kids. I really struggle with the things you mentioned, too. But I think we all just do the best we can.

Jenn said...

It's funny how the sadest events make us so much stronger.

Anonymous said...

Are you trying to make all of us cry? Cause its working. Makes me wanna hug my babies!

C-L said...

I have been thinking about this a lot lately too. How many times I forget to really listen and cherish all of the messes and noise. President Monson's talk was a good reminder of it too. Thanks for your reminder. I will try a little harder today.

Lewis Family said...

Wasn't it a great funeral? I know that sounds so weird to say about a funeral, but I thought Heather's life sketch was amazing. It was a great reminder of how we are entrusted with these precious little ones. I keep Mara and Paris' pictures on my fridge as my little reminder when life gets so "crazy"! Take care...hope everything is good with you guys. SherRae