Thursday, December 4, 2008

Epiphany.

So, I'm driving in the car today, enjoying my 2.5 hours of child-less (read: no one over 11 months) time, when I find myself thinking about my blog. I planned out a post about Twilight (which I may, or may not revisit at another time...), even thought through the wording, the clever quips, the tag line, when suddenly I realized, for the first time EVER...

I Am A Dork.

Truly. I am a bonafide dork. I'm not saying that folks who think out speeches in their minds and mentally compose letters in the shower are dorks (phew Candi- I think you're okay...). What I mean is, the way I use language- the wordy, lengthy way I explain things... I have always been blessed with a mind that easily recalls and uses vocabulary. At times, I am a bit overzealous in my use of words. Often, I find the most ridiculously ambiguous ways of explaining things. There are times my dorkiness has worked to my advantage (mostly involving academia), but for the most part, it's a scarlet "D" that I must bear.*

Thankfully, I was also blessed with a pretty solid self-concept as a youngster, a trait which often protects those of us who call ourselves dorks from really realizing or fully acknowledging it.

Other signs I am realizing are indicative of dorkdom:

matching socks, shirt and scrunchies. (A favorite past time of mine in bygone days- scrunchie days)

sleeping with a blankie. (Yes, I do still have it. Yes, I do still sleep with it. It's soft- don't judge me.)
reading embarrassing amounts YA lit.(Guilty. I do have a good reason for this, but I won't explain now.)

being overly melodramatic. (see * above)

having a psychotic tendency to become enamored of and obsessed with things of questionable dorkiness (ie: Harry Potter, Twilight, Strawberry Shortcake, etc.)

having the word "dork" written upon your forehead. (Okay, that one isn't true, but you get the point)

I think I am willing to not only accept my dorkiness, but embrace it. I think we dorks of the world make more "fun" mommies and daddies. I think we express ourselves well and have a finger on the pulse of what makes us happy. Not really such a bad thing, don't you think?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Here, here I agree. Being a dork is totally cool. I love Strawberry Shortcake, I am watching it right now(note the time is 6 am!) I love YA Lit because I can read it without wondering if it is ruining my spirituality, most of the time. I plan out blog posts while trying to go to sleep ... fortunately they never make it on...that could be scary. So if you are a dork I guess I am too and that is fine with me.

Kristen said...

Congrats for embracing your inner dork. Now you are free at last! :)

Anonymous said...

So I'm glad I'm not a dork. But I guess that means I'm not a "fun" mommy?
I love your vocabulary. My favorite is when someone uses a word I don't know the meaning of and I call you to check. Your a freakin human thesuras!
Your a FHT, not a dork.